Copyright issue Week#5

 Hello everyone!

    Today I will be talking about copyrights and some suggestions written by Christian Engström MEP & Rick Falkvinge in a book "The Case for Copyright Reform". But I would like to mention that my point of view is as a consumer and I have almost no idea how these reforms would impact companies and authors.

 

    First of all, why do we have such a big problem with copyrights and pirating?

    My answer would be that paying for services is not an option for everyone, and even if you pay there are many things that still are not accessible to you. For example, for few years now I have been paying for Netflix, but there ae so many shows and movies that I can't get which would mean I either have to pay for something else or get it online. Okey, let's look what happens if I agree to pay more and try to get subscription for Disney+ (so I could watch new Marvel series). Oh wait, it's not possible in this part of the world and for reasons like these people start to use torrent and other options that might not be so legal.

 

    That's why I liked the comment that for non-commercial reasons resources should be accessible for everyone and for free, because as they mention it's cultural exchange. This would also include banning “Digital Rights Management”, or “Digital Restrictions Management” and not allowing to monitor private messages. For consumers a good point also is "Free sampling" that would allow using part of original work for making your own, but with exceptions and some rules of course.

 

    Suggestions that I am not sure whether I agree or not are "20 years of commercial monopoly" and "Registration after 5 years". I know that musicians have had problems of copying notes of famous musicians like Bach because of copyrights and the 20 year rule would really help them, but for some still alive artists 20 years could be too little. 

 

    Copyright topic in my opinion is a complex one, because you have to take in consideration artists and consumers and fid the balance between them, but I think that points made in this reform are solid and definitely should be taken in consideration.

 

Link for the book: 

http://falkvinge.net/wp-content/uploads/large/The%20Case%20For%20Copyright%20Reform%20(2012)%20Engstrom-Falkvinge.pdf 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ergonomic products #Week 9

Cybercrime issues in Latvia Week#10